Designer/Architect - Portfolio Drop
Although the US offices are not currently hiring for this role, we're happy to receive your portfolio. We have a team who reviews portfolios regularly as part of an ongoing effort to identify top talent. Please understand that due to the volume of inquiries, we're unable to respond to individual follow-up requests. Human Resources will be in touch if there is an interest to have a conversation.
Below please find the overview of a Designer/Architect position in our studio.
About the job:
A Designer/Architect at Snohetta is committed to creating and developing exemplary architecture from concept through execution. The US offices are working on architectural and landscape projects associated with libraries, performance spaces, master plans, academia, waterfronts, park planning, urban redevelopments, and public plazas throughout the Americas. The Designer will be exposed to various work methods which are focused on the following core actions:
- Thinking: content generation of design through various mediums
- Doing: production of drawings, presentations, and general design production tasks
- Interacting: participation in meetings, project discussions and studio life
The Designer is an entry-level, unlicensed position that allows a person to develop a strong foundation on which to build their career. Over time, Designers work autonomously and develop intermediate design skills and responsibilities may include working on new business tasks or duties. Depending upon a candidate’s experience and background, they will be recognized as Designer I or Designer II. Architect is used for anyone who is licensed.
How you will do the job:
Below are just some of the ways you’ll do your work.
- Work with colleagues, across multiple disciplines, to engage in a collaborative design process. Apply critical and strategic thinking to develop strong concepts
- Communicate ideas effectively and listen with intent and respect to the ideas of others.
- Develop proficiency with hand drawing, physical modelbuilding, mixed media, Rhino, Grasshopper, & other similar platforms
- Gain exposure to the project delivery process which includes budget awareness, exposure to drawing sets and specifications. Develop a basic understanding and working knowledge the fundamentals of Snøhetta’s core disciplines.
- Develop proficiency with documentation [Revit, AutoCAD], visual communication [Adobe Suite and rendering software] and project communication [Microsoft Office Suite, Slack, Zoom]
- Establish leadership skills to build upon throughout your career including trustworthiness, forthrightness, and humility
- Hone your communication style and continuously work to refine and improve it. Build up your emotional intelligence to best collaborate and connect with others
- Maintain professional curiosity and proactively learn about your role and industry
- Prioritize work according to project needs or Snøhetta initiatives
About your experience:
- Professional degree in architecture
- A range of 2-5 years of professional, post-grad architecture experience
- Strong design sensibility, talent and rigor
- Proficiency with AutoCAD, Adobe CS, Word and Excel, Revit and Rhino
- A high degree of self-motivation, flexibility and resourcefulness
- Strong communication, collaboration and organizational skills
Snøhetta Culture & Benefits
All positions at Snøhetta, regardless of level or discipline, expect a person to be a good citizen of the firm who contributes to a positive, inclusive organizational culture. Employees are expected to spend at least 3 days per week working in person in the studio. The nature of our creative, collaborative, and physical, tactile work is more successful when it can be done in person in a shared space. We acknowledge the value of maintaining flexibility and providing an opportunity for employees to balance remote work with in-person work.
By joining Snøhetta you will become part of a unique, exciting, and high competence environment that enjoys producing excellent work and appreciates a good laugh and having fun together.
- A multidisciplinary and innovative work environment
- Lots of fun, discussions, and activities both at work and after office hours
- Great colleagues who care about each other and their work
Our robust benefits package is available to full-time employees and is centered on finding balance, well-being and fulfillment at work and home. Some of the ones we’re most excited about are:
- Generous Paid Time Off to rest and recharge throughout the year. Over 40 days of PTO (vacation, sick, holidays and professional development). Plus floating holidays to take time that’s reflective of one’s culture, background, and identity. Our US offices close from Christmas to New Year’s Day, so everyone in the studio can unplug.
- Growth and career development are fostered through our formal Mentorship Program, support for licensure, an educational stipend, and monthly knowledge-sharing events.
- Comprehensive health, dental and vision coverage including a fully funded medical reimbursement program and flexible spending accounts (FSA) to cover additional health expenses.
- Family support benefits including company-paid parental leaves and return-to-work plans. Dependent Care FSAs for school-aged children or elder relatives. NY + CA Paid Family Leaves to care for loved ones in a time of need.
- 401k plan with matching and a steady vesting schedule. Company-paid life insurance with the option to top up. Annual discretionary bonus at year-end.
- Connect with colleagues through lunch breaks, company-supported meal plan, and meet-ups in the kitchen with snacks, coffee or other tasty beverages. Or, take advantage of year-round Half-Day Fridays and plan an outing with others.
The expected salary range for this position is between $58,500 and $80,000 based on relevant work experience to the position
How To Apply:
- Please click "Apply" on the bottom right corner to go to the application form.
- No phone calls or emails please